Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day Cupcakes

We've always tried to do a little something fun when Groundhog Day rolls around.  This year I was inspired by a picture I saw on another blog - Dozen Flours.  It was a little groundhog made from a tootsie roll coming up out of the cupcake.  I used the homemade tootsie rolls we made to do my best.
Start with a chocolate cupcake.  We made chocolate zucchini cupcakes, but any mix will do.  Cut a small hole in the center to make room for the groundhog.

Frost with white frosting

Mold a large tootsie roll into a little groundhog head.  I used a large chocolate chip for his nose and 2 mini chocolate chips for the eyes.  I then melted some white chocolate to use for the teeth.

Press him down into the hole so it appears he his poking his head up out of  his burrow.  I crumbled the little pieces left from cutting the holes out to look like a little dirt on top of the snow.
My young kids had lots of fun making them with me and my older kids will get a kick out of them when they get home from school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment