Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bean Puree

I use bean puree in many recipes to replace the fat and often the eggs as well.  Making it is quite easy.  
Begin with cooked beans.  These had been in the freezer so I just thawed them out.  You can also use canned beans that you have rinsed.
Place beans in a small, deeper dish.

Add just a Tbsp or 2 of water and then use a hand immersion blender to puree them

You want them about the consistency of peanut butter.

White beans will hide in any recipe.  So I make lots of white bean puree.  Other colors of beans work just as well they just don't hide as well.  I use black beans in chocolate recipes and red or pinto beans in things like pumpkin or banana muffins.    


I freeze it in 1/2 cup portions in snack size baggies so it is quick to thaw and use when I am baking.

You can use a regular blender to make the puree.  It is hard on the motor though since it is so thick so I prefer the hand immersion variety.  Also, don't do too much at once or you'll burn it's motor out as well.

1 comment:

  1. thanks, I've made bean flour by grinding the dry beans in my grinder, but I think making the puree is more realistic for more people, simple and I love that you explained how it breaks down the hard to digest proteins ;) I have some white beans in my cupboard, I'm going to make some tonight!

    ReplyDelete