Friday, February 11, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup



In my post last week about leftovers, I mentioned boiling a chicken carcass to make a soup broth.  We did that and I took some pictures.  Whole chickens are an inexpensive way to purchase meat.  I buy a few when they are less than $.79 a pound and store them in the freezer.  They are fast to throw in the crockpot and then I just let them cook all day.

After serving it for dinner, I pick off any remaining chicken and save it in the fridge.  Then I cover the bones with water in a stock pot.  I add some celery and carrots to enhance the flavor.  I always use the leafy part of the celery since it usually gets thrown away anyway.  Bring this pot to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer.  Allow to simmer for 1-2 hours on low.  When done, strain out the bones and veggies and throw away.  Chill the broth overnight to allow the fat to rise to the top.  Discard the fat before making soup.  You can freeze the broth at this point to use later or just make soup now.  I toss in a handful of dry carrots, celery, and onions.  We also like it with a can of green beans added.  Then I add the chicken I had saved in the fridge and throw in a couple of handfuls of egg noodles.  Let this simmer for about 30 minutes.  Season with some salt and pepper.  Sometimes I add just a little chicken bouillon as well if it needs it.  Dinner is ready.  Serve with rolls, breadsticks, or just a slice of bread and butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment