Saturday, February 12, 2011

Flavored Applesauce


Applesauce is a favorite around here.  The kids really love the flavored varieties you can get in the little cups at the store.  A few years ago I had a good friend share this fun idea with me.  She said they used Kool-aid packets to flavor the applesauce they made during canning season.  I knew we had to try it!  My kids love it. (My three boys opened this quart for an after school snack the other day and gobbled it all up.  They didn't even leave any for the baby and I barely had a chance to get a picture.) I add one packet of Kool-aid for about 9-10 quarts of applesauce and then add sugar to taste.  Process like you do regular applesauce. 

You don't have to be a canner to use this fun tip.  You can flavor store bought applesauce too.  Use Kool-aid or Crystal Light packets to add a little color and fun flavor.  It is much less expensive per ounce to purchase a large container of regular applesauce and flavor it on your own than to pick up the tiny little cups.  We package some in small containers and store it in the fridge so it's ready for kids to throw in their lunches.

Pick a flavor and experiment today!

No comments:

Post a Comment