Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rice


Rice is something that stores very well (30+ years) and we serve it alongside many dishes. I am always a little surprised to hear it when someone has never cooked conventional (regular) rice. There are many out there who use the minute rice on a regular basis. Learning to cook regular rice will save you lots of money and increase your nutrition. You can use a rice cooker. I don't have room in my cupboards for lots of small appliances so this is one I do without. A regular pan with a lid works great!

I thought I would share the simple directions for cooking rice. Place 1 cup of white rice in a pan. Add 2 cups of water and a bit of salt. Cover and turn burner to high. When it begins to boil, turn it down to low. Watch it closely so you don't boil it over. (I often boil my rice over - my husband teases me a bit about it. I'm getting better at remembering to watch it.) Once it is on low, cook until all the water is absorbed. The whole process takes about 20 minutes. If you double the batch, plan on closer to 30 minutes. 

I always put the rice on to cook and then prepare the rest of the meal. Twenty minutes passes quickly in our kitchen and the rice is done in time to eat.

Rice also freezes well so I often cook a large batch and freeze the leftovers to use another time.

Brown rice does not store as long, but I have successfully kept brown rice in my pantry for over a year just in a plastic container. You cook it the same way, but it requires a little more water and a longer time to cook. Add 2 1/2 cups of water for 1 cup of brown rice.  It takes 35-40 minutes to absorb all of the water. Brown rice freezes very well also.

No comments:

Post a Comment