Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sally Lunn Bread




I tried a new recipe this week. I know that doesn't come as much of a surprise to those of you who know me - I seem to always find a recipe that peaks my interest. This recipe I found in an older cookbook at my family's cabin a few weeks ago. It caught my attention because it was listed under the bread section, but the only words in the title were "Sally Lunn." I wondered why someone's name would be listed as the title of the recipe. Little did I know how famous this recipe is or the long history behind it.

Now that I've peaked your interest, you are welcome to read more of the history of Sally Lunn bread  here.

I know now why it is famous and I'm wondering why I've never had it before. The texture reminds me of cornbread and it is oh so tasty hot from the oven, smothered in butter and drizzled with honey. It would be great served with chili or bean soup. We had it with beef stew . . . delicious!

There are a few recipes that call for yeast instead of baking powder. Now I want to try one of them and see how it compares. I'll let you know when I do.

Sally Lunn Bread

5 Tbsp butter, softened
2 Tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk (3 Tbsp milk powder and 1 cup of water)
2 cups flour (1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all-purpose)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and the milk and mix well. (If using powdered milk, add the water now and add the milk powder with the dry ingredients.) Add the dry ingredients. (I have used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup of white flour and it is still very good.) Pour into a greased 8 1/2x4 1/2x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Slice and serve warm with plenty of butter. Honey is good also.

No comments:

Post a Comment