Sunday, August 4, 2013

Browning Hamburger for a Crowd


We were assigned the taco meal at our last family reunion. It meant we needed to make taco filling for 90 people! That's a lot of tacos. Thank goodness it is a recipe that can be done in parts and well ahead of time. I will share the taco filling recipe soon. Today I am just going to share my secret for browning the hamburger. I decided to brown my 10 lbs of hamburger all at once. I put it all in my turkey roasting pan. I then chopped a couple of large onions from our garden and added them to the pot. The hamburger chubs were still a little frozen in the middle so I broke up what I could and then put the lid on. 



I baked it at 300 degrees for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours stirring it occasionally to break it up. It took a while to do, but I did not have to be constantly watching it. I made and served dinner, did some laundry, and bathed my younger kids. It worked great! 

Once it was done, I lined two jelly roll pans with paper towels and used a slotted spoon to move the hamburger to the trays. I then worked to mix all the taco filling - more on that another time.

If you are not making tacos, just let the hamburger cool and package in ziplock bags to freeze for another day. Having hamburger pre-cooked speeds up dinner preparations many nights. Sloppy Joes, spaghetti, tacos, casseroles, and hamburger helper style meals all require that you brown the meat first. This way, you can skip that step and have dinner on the table that much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment