Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wiener Wraps

These are a favorite of my kids. They bring back memories of school lunch for me since that is when I remember discovering them as a kid. We ate a lot of hot dogs growing up - even on pizza since they were an inexpensive meat. But, I don't remember my mom making wiener wraps. As odd as it seems, my siblings and I looked forward to when they made it on the hot lunch menu. They really are simple to make.

Begin by making a batch of your favorite bread dough or pizza dough. You can even thaw out some frozen Rhodes dough if that is the way you do things at your house. One batch of pizza dough should give you enough for 8 wiener wraps. Break the dough into 8 equal-sized portions. Then flatten into long ovals.

Place hot dog on dough.

Use your fingers to wrap the dough around the hot dog and pinch to seal the seams.

When it is fully enclosed, place on a greased baking sheet.

Here are all eight dogs. Allow to rise for 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

Brush the tops with butter once you remove them from the oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. This keeps them from going soggy on the bottom.

Here's one where the hot dog is poking out just barely. Enjoy dipped in mustard or ketchup. Serve with French fries, if desired. For my homemade version of French fries check here. To round out the meal, you can add some fruit and vegetables. My kids wanted bottled pears and peaches. They were looking forward to dinner all day!

8 comments:

  1. I was SO happy to find this. I make my weiner wraps with bread dough, but wasn't sure about a cooking time. I loved them in school lunch when I was kid. In fact, it was my favorite lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to relive some of our "kid" memories? Thanks for sharing -

    ReplyDelete
  3. One night we had extra pretzel dough.......and Sonic now has a hot dog in a pretzel bun. My son asked if he could try a home made pretzel bun for a hot dog. We all gave it a try and gave it two thumbs up. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes. would you want update more information? I have Profile on check webcam .
    Are you looking to troubleshoot how to choose Webcam in Windows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago we made these ahead of time and they were wonderful. I think we just sealed them in freezer bags after they were cooked and they reheated nicely in the microwave. I am going to try that this weekend for a "glamping" trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you happen to have a recipe for old school pizza?

    ReplyDelete