Thursday, October 13, 2011

Freezing Peppers

Peppers are easy to prepare for the freezer. It is a simple way to preserve your garden bounty or to take advantage of a sale at the grocery store. All varieties of peppers freeze well.

Wash the peppers, cup open and remove all the seeds.


Be sure to wear gloves, I purchased a pair of kitchen gloves that have colored trim on the end. This way I know which ones to wear when preparing food and I won't mix them up with the ones that I do my cleaning with. When you are doing quite a few peppers at a time, the oil can really build up on your hands and it really burns if you have any cuts on your fingers or if you get it in your eyes.

You can chop in a food processor. This really minces the peppers which works great for making salsa or adding to soups for a little flavor. If you want larger pieces or even slices for making sweet and sour chicken or something similar, then you can just chop by hand with a knife.

Once chopped, place in a ziplock freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to a year. I chop a few at a time as they ripen in the garden and then I pull them all out for salsa making day.

No comments:

Post a Comment