Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blackberry Turnovers

We were invited to pick a friend's blackberry patch for Family Night a few weeks ago. All the while we were picking, the kids kept coming up with more things we could make with the blackberries. Blackberry pie, blackberry jam, blackberry syrup, blackberry smoothies, blackberry ice cream, blackberry turnovers - here is my attempt at the turnovers.

Remember all the freezer jam I was making? This is a great use for it!

Begin with pie dough. Any pie crust recipe will work. I had some in the freezer I pulled out.

Roll it out thin between two pieces of plastic wrap. You don't want to add any additional flour or else you will get the fat to flour ration off and your crust won't be as crispy.

I have this little turnover cutter, but you could cut out circles with a large cup or a small bowl.

Once I've used the bottom of the tool to cut circles, I place the circle in the top of the tool.

Here's that tasty blackberry freezer jam. Any flavor jam would work and it wouldn't have to be frozen. You could use store bought, bottled jam. I just love the fresh flavor of the frozen jam.

Place a little (1-2 tsp) on one side of your circle.

Fold dough in half. And crimp closed.



Place on a baking sheet.

Use a fork to make sure they are crimped very well around the edges. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until just slightly brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

Once cooled, you can drizzle with a little powdered sugar icing. I usually make some, but I found this little bit of frosting left in the fridge and used it instead. Heat in the microwave for a few seconds so it will pour out.

Slowly pour over the turnovers and allow to harden. (I placed the turnovers back on the baking sheet to do the frosting to contain the mess.)

These didn't last two minutes once the kids came home from school. I had to hide one so my husband, James, could have a taste!


You could use this same idea to make homemade poptarts. The concept is the same. They are just made in a different shape. Just roll out your pie crust and cut in rectangles with a pizza cutter or knife. Place a little filling on each rectangle and top with an additional rectangle. Crimp the edges and bake. Frost as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment