Thursday, January 23, 2014

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars


My oatmeal breakfast bars have been such a popular recipe that I thought I would share a variation in case, like me, you get ready for a new flavor every now and then. These bars are very similar to the original recipe, but they have the distinct taste of bananas - perfect for breakfast in my opinion! These have less sugar since the bananas add moisture and sweetness. The bananas also work as an egg substitute allowing these to turn out great without any eggs.

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars work great for a make-ahead quick breakfast option or also go well as an after school snack. I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine!






Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Ingredients:

¾ cup brown sugar
¾  cup plain yogurt
¾ cup mashed bananas
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup dried fruit or chocolate chips

Directions:
Mix brown sugar, yogurt, mashed bananas, vanilla and oil. Add dry ingredients and mix well. If mixture looks too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp milk. (The need for milk will depend on how thick your yogurt is. My homemade yogurt is thinner than store bought so I did not need to add any milk.) Add dried fruit or chocolate chips very last. Press into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min. or until golden brown.Cut into bars. These freeze very well. Allow the bars to cool completely before placing in freezer bags or containers.

1 comment: