Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Honey Roasted Pretzels


I went in search of a recipe to use up a large bag of pretzels the other day. I had all my cub scouts coming over after school and they always hit the house hungry! My older daughter is my big pretzel eater so I have learned to keep some on hand as part of my short-term storage. The problem is she just got braces and pretzels are now on the "no-no" list - she can only have the sticks. That meant I had a very large bag of pretzels that was in need of being eaten. This recipe was great!

I often change up a recipe just a bit, but this one I did as is and we loved it. You could add some nuts if you wanted a sweet-salty mix. The cub scouts ate a lot of them and then the boy scouts finished them off over their weekend camp out. They would work great for teacher or friend gifts for any occasion or be a quick treat for any pot-luck or party. The topping just adds a hint of sweetness to the salty pretzels.


Start with a few basic ingredients - 

Mix the sauce ingredients after microwaving them.

Pour over the pretzels - notice how the sauce changes color after adding the baking soda. (You could turn making it into a science lesson for your kids.)

Microwave again - 

Stir to break them up.

I used my hand to separate some as well. From start to finish in less than 10 minutes - perfect for my needs!

Honey Roasted Pretzels 
(Makes 9 cups)


9 cups mini pretzels (10 ounces)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon baking soda


1. Place pretzels in 2 or 3 quart microwave-safe casserole or measurer. Set aside.

2. Combine brown sugar, butter, honey, and corn syrup in 4-cup microwave-safe measurer.

3. Microwave mixture on Full Power 45-60 seconds or until mixture boils hard, stirring once.

4. Continue to microwave mixture on Full Power 60 more seconds.

5. Stir in soda mixture.

6. Pour syrup over pretzels. Stir to lightly coat pretzels with syrup.

7. Microwave coated pretzels on 50 % power, uncovered,, 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring twice. (If you don’t have 50% power, try using the defrost setting for 4-5 minutes).

8. Turn onto lightly vegetable-sprayed waxed paper or foil

9. As mixture cools, break into pieces.

10. Store in tightly covered container or resealable plastic bag.


Source: http://deannahouse.com/pages/recipes/snacks_honeyroastedpretzels.html

No comments:

Post a Comment