Monday, July 22, 2013

Frosted Meatloaf

We were invited to a 50s themed party recently. We were asked to bring potluck dishes that were popular in the 50s. I had to do a little research. Jello molds, casseroles, and meatloaf were all options I came up with. I was intrigued by a recipe titled "Frosted Meatloaf." I had never heard of this before. With a little more searching, I learned that frosted meatloaf is a traditional meatloaf with mashed potatoes on top - frosted like a cake. My husband decided this is what he wanted to try.

I turned to my favorite recipe for meatloaf. You can use whatever recipe you like. Just bake as directed.

Once removing from the oven, top with warm mashed potatoes. I dressed up some instant mashed potatoes with a little sour cream and chives from the garden.

Then sprinkle with grated cheese. Return to the oven if needed to melt the cheese.

Slice and serve.

The family loved it when I made one for a trial run. We then made another the next week for the party. It was a hit! 
You can very easily make extra meatloaf mixture and store it in the freezer to make preparation go quickly the next time you would like to serve it. I always use at least 3 lbs of hamburger when I am doing this. Since you can form the mixture into meatballs, meatloaf, or hamburgers you have lots of options, but you only have to get your hands dirty the one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment