Monday, November 28, 2011

Make Ahead French Toast

My mornings start earlier this year since my oldest daughter just started Middle School. I've found it very helpful to have some breakfast options in the freezer to allow us to get her out the door on time to catch the bus. French Toast is easy to make in large batches. It freezes well and reheats in the toaster in a flash.

Mix eggs and milk in a shallow dish. I also like to add a little cinnamon and vanilla.

Mix well with a fork.

We have a Wonder Bread Thrift store near us where I can get bread for $.50 -$.80 cents a loaf. We also love French Toast made from homemade whole wheat bread. The Texas Toast is sliced thicker and makes delicious French Toast. When I find it at the bread store, I snatch it up.

Dip slices in egg mixture.

Cook on a hot griddle.

Flip when golden brown.

Cool slices on  a wire rack. When completely cool, package up for the freezer. I just put it all back in the original bag.

Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. It is easy to grab as many slices as you need for a quick breakfast another day. I often do 2-3 loaves at a time. I can do the cooking in the middle of the afternoon instead of getting up extra early - I love that! Knowing that it stores in the freezer, I can count this as one of my storable breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment