Friday, September 23, 2011

Pumpkin Waffle Mix



We have a new favorite mix - inspired by the change in the weather and our family's love of anything pumpkin. I created this recipe the other morning and we loved them! Even reheated this morning from the freezer, they were great. I will be making a few mixes of these to keep in the pantry with my other muffin and waffle mixes.


In our waffle iron, it took 4 minutes to have them come out nice and golden. I used frozen pumpkin which doesn't have as orange of a color as the canned pumpkin so yours my be more of a pumpkin color. When cooking them, allow them to cool on a wire rack, this helps the bottom ones not get soggy. I cooked up a bunch when my older daughter was ready for breakfast. She leaves an hour ahead of my younger boys. I just left them cooling on the counter.


When my boys were ready to eat, we just warmed them in the toaster - delicious!


I bagged up the 4 that were left to freeze for my husband to eat for breakfast another day. He leaves way early for work and usually takes breakfast with him. He popped them in the toaster this morning and shared with me how much he loved them - he agreed I should keep mixes for them in the pantry. 

Give them a try - they just may become a new family favorite for you too.


Pumpkin Waffle Mix

For the mix, place the following dry ingredients in a ziplock bag.
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used hard white wheat flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 Tbsp dry milk powder
Use a sharpie pen to write the wet ingredients on the bag so you can quickly add them when you are ready to make.
Add:
1 1/2 cups water
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup canned or frozen pumpkin

To make: Pour your mix into a bowl and add the wet ingredients. Mix until all lumps are gone. I used a wire whisk to help it go faster. Cook in a heated waffle iron that you have greased well. You may need to add a little more water depending on how thick your pumpkin is. This made about 10 waffle squares. With the whole wheat flour they are very filling so this was enough for my crew.

Enjoy!

Variations: I haven't actually tried any of these yet (I didn't want to wait to share the recipe though since it is so good!) but from experience with other recipes these should all work.

Think about the consistency of canned pumpkin, anything with that consistency will work fine in this recipe.
Applesauce
Mashed sweet potato
Mashed butternut, acorn, hubbard, or banana squash
Mashed bananas

Just substitute it straight across for the pumpkin or do 1/2 and 1/2 if you want to. They will all taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment