Monday, July 11, 2011

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Is summer keeping you so busy running that you are out of energy by the time making dinner comes around? That is how I am beginning to feel - My solution is to make a few larger batches of certain items so they can be waiting in the freezer for just one of these nights. "But, I'm feeling that way every night, " you think. I am too quite frankly. These mashed potatoes can be a side dish with many meals so they can come to the rescue many nights in a row if you need them too. You can also load them up like you would a baked potato and have them pass as the main dish. My kids never complain when I put them on the table.


Peel and dice your potatoes. (Many times we leave the peels on and just scrub well.) Boil in water until tender. Drain and place in your mixing bowl. My Kitchen-aid is great for this. I use the wire whip attachment.

Add homemade yogurt, milk and seasonings until it is the consistency you like. Because I never measure my potatoes anymore, I just do it until it looks goods. (My original measurements can be found in the recipe below.) Allow to cool, and package in freezer bags or containers. 

You've heated your kitchen up once and have quite a few nights covered. Next time you grill any meat, this can be your side dish or like I mentioned above, load them up when you reheat them and call them dinner. You won't get any complaints from us.

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
These are nice to have in the freezer ready to go for a busy night. They are also great for a holiday dinner. You can just reheat in the crockpot on low for 5–6 hours.

5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
½ cup reconstituted powdered milk
8 oz cream cheese (plain yogurt)
2 tsp onion powder
1 cup sour cream (plain yogurt)
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and mash. Mix in remaining ingredients only using enough milk to achieve the consistency you desire. Serve immediately or store in the fridge or freezer for later. Just package in ziplock bags or meal size containers. We also like to add grated cheese, chives, and bacon bits sometimes to dress them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment