Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pumpkin Black-Bean Turkey Chili


I like to spend my spare moments looking over cookbooks. I know that may sound odd to some of you, but I've found I enjoy it much more than reading a magazine. Sometimes I visit thrift stores just to pick up some new ones.
I have a cookbook sitting on a side table in just about every room of the house. I also carry one with me in the car so when I am waiting a few minutes to pick up one of the kids, I have something to do. I came across this recipe in one of my many books and it intrigued me. I had never thought about putting pumpkin in chili before. I had pumpkin puree and cooked turkey in my freezer so I decided to give it a try.  As is often the case, I tweaked the recipe to make it simpler to throw together with what I keep on hand. We all decided it was a winner! The pumpkin gives it a rich texture different than other chilies, but very, very good! We have made it a few times this winter, and I decided it was high time I shared the recipe.

This one makes an easy freezer to crockpot meal. Place everything in a gallon ziplock freezer bag except for the water. Freeze until ready to use. Thaw and cook as below.

Pumpkin Black-Bean Turkey Chili

½ cup dehydrated, chopped onion
½ cup dehydrated, chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1½ tsp dried oregano
1½ - 2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
2-3 cups chopped, cooked turkey
3 cups cooked, black beans (2 cans rinsed and drained)
2 cups pumpkin puree
2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes
1-2 cups hot water, optional
Sour cream
Shredded cheese


Combine everything in your slow cooker. Do not add any water until just before serving. It will allow you to determine how thick you want your chili. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours until heated through. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment