Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Freezer to Crockpot Beef Stew



The nights are getting colder and I am ready for a few easy, crockpot meals. I learned to love these freezer to crockpot meals last winter when we were living through a kitchen remodel and cooking on the bathroom counter. The truth of it all is, they also make my evenings run smoother even when I have a functioning kitchen. I can throw a few of these together in what feels like no time at all and then dinners are easier for a couple of weeks or more depending on many I have put in the freezer.

Beef Stew is true comfort food on a cold night. Freezer to crockpot beef stew gives me the opportunity to prepare it whenever I have the time instead of waiting for an evening when nothing else is going on. Simmering it in the crockpot all day allows the flavors to blend well and the vegetables and meat to be so very tender. Hopefully your family will enjoy it as much as mine.


Freezer to Crockpot Beef Stew


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp beef bouillon
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
6 oz tomato paste

Combine in a gallon ziplock bag and knead together until well mixed.

Add to freezer bag:
1 ½ lbs. Beef Stew Meat
2 cups frozen, sliced carrots

Label bag.
Make a note to add 2 cups peeled, diced potatoes to the crockpot.

Directions:
To cook, thaw overnight and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4. When done, add hot water until it is the consistency you like. We like our stew thick so I didn't add much water at all. You can also add frozen peas the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time, if desired.

This will store for 6 months in the freezer so mix up a few batches at once to save time down the road.

Note: Potatoes do not freeze well when they are raw. They turn black and are not appetizing so that is why I wait to add mine until cooking time. It still makes for a very easy meal to throw together since all I have to do on cooking day is peel and chop potatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment