Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Double Layer Toddler Skirt


My youngest is outgrowing all her dresses and skirts. I learned long ago, with my oldest daughter, that it is so much cheaper to make a little skirt than to purchase one. When they are small, a skirt doesn't require much fabric so it keeps the cost down and is not difficult to do - no pattern is even required. They are easy enough for beginners to do. The more experienced sewer can be done in about 20 minutes.

I decided that I was going to do a double layer skirt. (To save fabric, you could sew a contrasting strip to the bottom and get a similar effect.) I wanted the extra body and flounce that the double layer would provide. Begin by measuring your little girl. You need the waist measurement and length measurement. Add 1 1/2 inches to the length measurement to allow for the waistband and the hem. This is the size you need your longer layer to be. I cut my red fabric 17 inches by the width of the fabric. (17"x42") The floral fabric I cut 3 inches shorter so it is 14"x42".

Serge or zigzag your edges to prevent them from fraying and sew each piece of fabric together at the salvages to create the side seams. You end up with 2 tubes of fabric. Place the longer tube inside the shorter tube, matching side seams. Stitch or serge the two layers together.


Measure and fold down the fabric that will create the waistband. When my kids are young, I use 1/2 inch wide elastic. As they grow bigger, I trade up to a 3/4 or 1 inch wide elastic to better hold the weight of more fabric.


Press the waistband down and then sew in place, leaving a hole to thread the elastic through. Thread the elastic through the casing and then close up the waistband.

Hem the two layers with just a simple rolled hem - and you're done! It's that simple.

I always keep a little fabric around as part of our emergency plan. Because I have learned some sewing skills, I know that I could make some simple skirts or shorts if needed for my kids. I could also patch a pair of pants or add a layer to an existing skirt to lengthen it - every skill could come in handy one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment