Saturday, August 25, 2012

Our New Favorite Garden Salsa

Garden season means fresh salsa! This is our new favorite recipe. It comes from the Aug/Sept 2012 issue of Taste of Home. I don't usually copy and paste a recipe as is on this blog - but this one is perfect just as it's written. My sister brought me a bottle of this for my birthday recently and we fell in love! My little 5-year-old said, "This is the best salsa on earth! Mom, how long will it take you to figure out making this?" I had to chuckle. He has figured out that I am willing to experiment and try and copy a taste that we love. I replied,"It won't take long at all. I just have to call Aunt Amber and she'll tell me what she did."

I love that this calls for cucumbers and zucchini - it really doesn't need that many tomatoes. The last batch I made was heavy on the cucumber and zucchini and we still loved it. I stored it in a quart jar in the fridge and it stayed good at least a week - we just snacked on it whenever we wanted it. I took a quart of it to a family reunion and everyone wanted the recipe. Yesterday we mixed in about 1 cup of this salsa with a bunch of mashed avocado - it was amazing! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.


Garden Veg Salsa Recipe

Garden Veg Salsa RecipeGarden Veg Salsa Recipe photo by Taste of Home

Garden Veg Salsa Recipe
Garden Veg Salsa Recipe
  • Prep: 20 min.
  • Yield: 12 Servings
2020

Ingredients

  • 3 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, chopped
  • 3/4 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Tortilla chips

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 6 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment